Thursday, April 12, 2018

Calm Waters



"Calm Waters" oil on canvas 24"x24"


        Do we really think of ourselves as sheep; weak, needing help to get to the next destination, in need of a Shepherd?  When we consider our weakness in the face of Our Leader's great strength our heart comes to a rest under His perfect leadership. 

       A good shepherd doesn't just go passive when one in his flock wanders off.  He is attentive.  He goes after that one sheep.  When a few in the flock begin to go down a different route the good shepherd hems them in, gathers them together.  He constantly is watchful for vicious wolves that try to come in from behind.  The sheep know and trust the Shepherd's tender voice.  They (are ever learning) to follow Him.

        He is my Shepherd.  He is trustworthy.   Even in my weakness.   He isn't holding my dumbest choices against me.  He even still seeks to find me, to refresh me and to restore me.  I can't go too far from His leadership.

        He knows where the refreshing waters are.  He knows when to tell my heart to rest.  He knows the path that's before me.  My heart is learning to trust in Him rather than my own devices.  When I do, even in the midst of hardship, He finds a way to refresh me.  He is responsible for refreshing me.  He is responsible for leading me.  He leads me to the calm waters in the midst of turbulent times.  He restores my soul.



Psalm 23 says:  
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
    he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
    for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
    through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.


       Prayer for today:
     Father, help me know you today as a Shepherd; as the perfect leader.  Even when I fail, you still hem me in, draw me close.  You know where are the refreshing places are in the midst of tough terrain of life.  Help me to trust in your perfect leadership today.  Help me to believe you are attentive to my needs.  Even in life's valleys, you are there, still faithfully leading me.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment