Sunday, June 3, 2018

Jesus as our Plumb Line

"And I will make justice the measuring line and righteousness the plumb line."
Isaiah 28:17
"Look I am setting a plumb line among my people Israel."
Amos 7:8
Jesus is the plumb line. 

Two tools a good carpenter needs:

A level and plumb line

       
         In a symbolic sense, using a level could be equated with only comparing  ourselves with others.  And we might see ourselves above or below them.  But our perspective is inaccurate as there is no alignment with The TRUTH or what is right.  It's a trap. 

       "Am I on their level? Are they on my level?"

  We may be tempted to ask.  But if we are subtly asking this question we are already mistaken.  We are all fallible broken humans.  Judging ourselves by looking at each other is a game we have already lost from the get go. We will never grab hold of our destiny peering through this earthly perspective of comparison.


         But, if we have a plumb line, we have what is TRUE.  We have a perfect standard by which to measure and judge ourselves accurately.  We have the perfect standard embodied in a man.  That is what Christ is; He is the Plumb Line with which we need to compare ourselves to.  In so doing, we realize the truth; that there is still more and more in us that needs to align with Him.  

           Also if we have the perfect Plumb Line, we have a perfect Love that tells us The Truth about who we are becoming.  We also find He has more love and affection for us than we ever imagined possible.   Sure, He sees our weaknesses and shortcomings.   But much more than that He sees us for our potential.  He sees us seated in high places, lacking nothing.  He calls us up higher, away from our measly trappings of comparison.  He sets us in our place, puts a crown on our head and tells us who we are becoming.  He tells us the TRUTH in a way the world or those we are tempted to compare ourselves to never could.


     

                Two tools every good carpenter needs:

                           a level and a plumb line
                 
                     


Lazer level and plumb line making a cross
          

    A prayer for today: Father, expose any ways I am comparing myself to others today.  Help me to make you the Standard by which I measure myself by.  Help me to see myself as you see me.

No comments:

Post a Comment